COP26: What You Can Do To Fight The Climate Crisis
What is COP26 & Why Is Everyone Talking About It?
It's all over the news, social media and word of mouth. This month COP26 is happening in Glasgow from 31 October - 12 November but you might be wondering...
So, what is COP?
Let's rewind. COP or Conference of the Parties has its roots in the 1992 Rio de Janeiro Earth Summit.
The Earth Summit was essentially a BIG meeting of world leaders to address the climate crisis, and this is where the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) was signed. Catchy title, I know.
From 1992, every year the parties to the convention attend a conference. You guessed it. This conference is called the Conference of the Parties or shorthand: COP.
This year COP is held in Glasgow & this time it's different as it's largely hailed as the "last chance" to save our planet from impending doom. Pretty scary. Especially when you remember they have been trying this since 1992.
But... while this is our leaders chance to make all the difference through pledges, funds and partnerships, we can fight climate change too.
What can you do to fight climate change?
1. Join in the Global Day of Climate Action this Saturday 5th November with protests happening all over the UK.
2. Choose eco-friendly toiletries, cosmetics & kitchen swaps
3. Eat less animal products or go the whole way & switch to a vegan diet
4. Save energy at home & save money
5. Cycle, walk or use public transport rather than driving
6. Consider switching to an ethical bank. Lots of banks invest in industries like oil and gas, the arms trade and mining. Switch to invest your money with your morals.
7. Join a climate group in your local area
Individual actions are important, but never forget that there are just 20 firms behind a third of all carbon emissions.
All we can do is keep on fighting a good fight and doing our bits to raise awareness and protect the climate through our individual acts.
What steps are you taking? Let us know in the comments.